Saturday 2 February 2008

Geeky, I know

As mentioned previously, here are some photos from my recent trip to Cardiff.

If you hate other peoples holiday pictures, or Doctor Who, better head off for a cup of tea or something. Seriously.

The Doctor Who exhibition was great fun. It's not particularly big, but it is very well laid out so it takes a while to get through it, and they give you a clipboard with a quiz* on it to make sure you read all the information about each exhibit.

Anyhoo, there was the Tardis, rotating on a plinth, hence the wonky angle.

TARDIS

There was K-9. Aaaah. Memories of my wasted youth.

K-9

There were the horrible aliens who ran on clockwork, no idea what they were called. Sorry.

Doctor Who aliens

There was a Dalek. This was actually quite scary in real life, probably because it looked exactly like they do on TV, rather than just a costume worn by someone.

Dalek

If you were wondering what those little knobbly things are in front of the Dalek...

Terracotta Dalek

Of course! Terracotta Daleks. For taking with it to the next world, one assumes.

There was a Cyberman. This bit was good because they were playing a VERY LOUD recording of the "clong clong Cybermen walking around" noise. Brrrr.

Cyberman

Other stuff:

I saw this rather charming statue of a dog in the Bay area. Isn't he lifelike?

Bronze dog

So, why, why, does the dog in this sign just round the corner look nothing like any kind of dog whatsoever?

And what has it been eating?

It's crapping firewood!

Get it to the vet, someone!

Dog sign

Plus, now you know the Welsh for No Dog Crap, which is bound to come in handy at some point.

*I won a sticker. I'm so proud.

4 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

Was it really called the Tardis?

That fact has alluded me for some reason. That and I haven't watched Dr. Who in 25 years except for a few of the Christopher Eccleston (sp?) episodes.

livesbythewoods said...

Yes. In fact I think it ought to be written T.A.R.D.I.S because it is an acronym.

I can't remember what it stands for. I daresay someone will tell me.

I stopped watching the original series after Tom Baker left, but I really like David Tennant.

badgerdaddy said...

Time and Relative Dimension(s) in Space.

I used to know it but just had to look it up.

livesbythewoods said...

Hurrah. I knew someone would know. Thanks badgerdaddy.