Thursday 14 February 2008

Travelling

Blimey. Thursday already. This week is zipping by, which usually indicates that I am busy and not too grumpy. Which is indeed the case. So hurrah.

Went up to London on Tuesday for what I expected to be a long meeting. In the event, it was a 5 hour round trip for an hour and a half of meeting. Not a great ratio, but I was glad I was there.

It meant I put faces to names*, and got to bore the pants off them** by droning on about the project for most of the meeting. They asked lots of difficult questions and I said "Hmm, too early to say" a lot.

Still, it was useful to meet everyone, and they all promised to help my team.

I changed my usual travel routine, and took a direct train from Tisbury (look on a map, American readers. And anyone not from Wiltshire) which was excellent. I was able to chill out for the entire trip, there was no faffing around changing trains at Salisbury, and it is only a few miles further to the station from home. I even got some work done on the journey. Blimey.

I will definitely be doing that again in future. Made a huge difference to the day. And the weather was superb.

Walking from Waterloo to the office was glorious. I got to see all the various "Living Statue" people along the South Bank.

Mildly entertaining, especially the one dressed a silver wizard, ringing a small bell every time anyone gave him some money. You could sense all the other statues thinking "Bastard" every time the bell rang. Heh.

Had a really good guitar lesson this week as well. I am learning the intro (and chords) to "You Shook Me All Night Long", one of AC/DC's classics.

I was tempted to go and see Nazareth play live last night in Frome, but decided against it on the grounds that I couldn't be arsed.

Am checking out upcoming bands playing at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff though, now I know how easy it is to get there on the train.


*Not literally. Although a "Pin the name to the face" game has a certain appeal. I might take some name tags and drawing pins next time, just in case.

**Again, not literally. Well, not that I noticed, anyway.

2 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

Wow...Nazareth is still around? That's awesome!

40 years and still going.

livesbythewoods said...

Yep, touring the Cheese Markets of the West Country still.

Fantastic.