Saturday 17 May 2008

Abroad

Guess where I am? Not in Wiltshire, for a start.

No, I am in Malta, on the island of Gozo to be exact, in a v fantastic hotel. It is lovely. I may never come back. Especially as I can get internet access.

There are palm trees, the sun is shining, the food is delicious and the people are lovely. The place is incredible. Our room is bigger than the flat I lived in as a student. Seriously.

We had a looooong day travelling yesterday, well, from Thursday really, as we drove up to a hotel near Heathrow, and our flight was on Friday morning. But, all things considered, it was a very straightforward trip. Even the security at the airport wasn't too horrible. And all out luggage arrived here with us. Yay.

We flew to Malta, then got picked up by a taxi at the airport and driven at hair-raising speed across the island to the Gozo ferry, had a lovely sunshiny crossing to Gozo, then another taxi across this island to our hotel.

Maltese driving - it's an eye-opener alright.

Our driver overtook anything and everything, on blind bends, going up steep hills, on the wrong side of the road, on junctions....you name it, he did it. As did all the other drivers. Horns was deployed continually, nobody used their indicators once as far as I saw, and yet everyone managed to stay on the road and relatively undamaged.

I don't think we'll be hiring a car while we're here.

We have had the world's best breakfast* and are going to go and meet the dive people in a little while, as Mr WithaY has a few days diving booked. I am going to check out the spa at the hotel and see about getting a massage maybe, and a pedicure (I have this funky new nail varnish to try out). And then, to the pool, to watch the plam trees sway in the breeze and listen to Def Leppard on my iPod.

I am having a great time.




*They had everything. You could, if you wanted, have had poached eggs, waffles with chocolate sauce, porridge, cheese, dried banana and baked beans. Garnished with an iced doughnut.

2 comments:

Caro said...

That sounds lovely. Glad you're having some well-deserved fun.

livesbythewoods said...

Caro, it is like Heaven.