Tuesday 16 February 2010

Tosser

Today, as many of you know, is Mardi Gras.  Fat Tuesday.  Shrove Tuesday.  Pancake Day.

To celebrate, Mr WithaY decided to make pancakes.  He's very good at pancakes.  I had already made a mighty fine chicken curry for supper, so as that was finishing off, he whisked up a batch of batter.  You have to give it time, to allow it to rest, before making the pancakes after we'd eaten the curry.

I hope you're following this.

As I was faffing about with rice, Mr WithaY sniffed suspiciously at the milk he'd used for the pancake mix.

"Hm.  I think this might be a bit off," he said, as it sloshed around lumpily in the carton.  He sniffed it, made a face, sniffed it again, then took a swig.  There was some Language. 

He poured it down the sink, and then poked dubiously at the pancake batter.

"Are you going to throw that away as well?" I enquired.

"Nah, it'll be ok."

We ate our curry, which was jolly fine, and after we'd finished, Mr WithaY went out to the kitchen to make the pancakes.  I heard more whisking and stirring noises, then the sad sound of batter being poured down the sink.

"I'll make a fresh batch," he announced.  Well, I stayed where I was, watching House, while the swearing and thumping in the kitchen increased.  It seemed safer.  After a particularly fluent burst of Language, and then some vigorous scraping noises I ventured to ask if things were going well.

It seemed they were not.

Like fruit trees, pancakes can have Good Years and they can have Bad Years.  Reader, I am sorry to say, that 2010 was a Bad Year for pancakes.  They tasted fine, but Mr Withay's fine artistic eye was offended by their lack of symmetry.

It's not like this in Rio, I bet.

2 comments:

Dan said...

But you ahve to love a guy who takes that much care and attention over pancakes LBTW?

livesbythewoods said...

Dan, absolutely right. And at least we didn't have to eat the first batch of mixture, which was apparently "frothing" by the time he went back to it.